4.10.2008

Opticks - Open Source Remote Sensing Software - Ball AeroSpace

Opticks is my new endeavor for developing an open source image processing software that I can provide to my Remote Sensing students at American River College. I am getting set up to begin plug-in development for Opticks hopefully to expand some functionality of the out-of-the-box Opticks.

Opticks has been the cleanest open source image processing softwares I have seen lately...so much so I am foregoing my Python Image Processing endeavor. In addition, it seems Opticks has a hyperspectral slant to it as well, definitely something that will be up and coming in the near future.

I will continue to update based on my findings so that others have an idea of what it will take to develop themselves and use the Opticks software.

Some of the things I would like to be able to add to Opticks is:

1. Various band raios. This looks pretty straight forward with using their Map Algebra tool and you can create your own "custom" band calculations.

2. Image processing using a moving window (edge detectors, specialized filters)

3. Add RADAR image processing such as slant-to-ground range correction and texture processing.

4. Image Classification. This may be a little tricky to do since it require spectral signatures. I need to check more on this.

No comments: